Re: SKIP wastes bandwidth

At 06:57 AM 11/23/95 GMT, William Allen Simpson flamed Ashar Aziz about
header overhead:
>Because you seem incapable of addition, here is little more clear and
>direct comparison:

Bill (and the group),

I don't like header overhead either, especially when it can be avoided, but
there's
usually a reason for adding it and I don't see any particular number of
bytes that
is automatically, under all circumstances "unacceptable".

Remember that VJ first did his header compression scheme back in the days of
2400bps modems. The time it took to send 40 bytes at 2400bps was a significant
fraction of the total round trip time. Today, with 14.4 and 28.8 modems the
store-and-forward delay for such a header is much less, especially in comparison
with the fixed and fairly substantial delays in the modem equalizers. As you are
undoubtedly familiar, round trip times over a PPP link to even the node on the
other side are seldom if ever less than 100ms, and that's a lot of bits when
you do the math.

Again, if I have two protocols that do the job and one has more header overhead
than the other, I'm more likely to pick the one with less overhead. But I can't
give you a size above which a protocol becomes automatically "unacceptable".

Phil