Re: WG Last Call for SKIP I-D

At 06:31 PM 11/30/95 -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

>Assuming that the modular exponentiation involved in the DH exchange
>takes 1 CPU second, a system in regular communication with 1000 other
>systems would then wind up spending just under 30% of its time doing
>modular exponentiations.

Well, if that 30% would otherwise be idle time, why not recompute shared
secrets that often? You can vary the recompute time based on how much idle
time you have, with perhaps some established minimum and maximum rate.

I've always liked Hilarie Orman's saying: encrypt until it hurts, then maybe
back off a little.

Phil