Fwd: Proposed PAR for 802.10i

The attached "PAR" is loosely related to ipsec issues for the support of
multicast.  SAIDs/SPIs are normally locally unique (for a recipient).  Some
approaches for multicast support may require additional restrictions to be
placed on SAIDs/SPIs.

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation                       Phone: (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410             Fax: (415) 413-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065               palamber@us.oracle.com

-- BEGIN included message

All-

Attached below is the proposed PAR for 802.10i that we came up with at our ad
hoc meeting yesterday.  Please let me know ASAP if you have any problem with the
wording of the PAR.  This refinement of the SAID field will also support the
VLAN folks needs.  This PAR will have to be approved at our Salt Lake meeting,
so that it can be forwarded to the LMSC Exec for approval in March.

Ken

                                       ATTACHED PAR

1.  Date of Request:  14 March 1996

2.  Assigned Project #:  802.10i

3.  Does this PAR revise a previously approved PAR:  No

4.  Description of Proposed Document:

Revision of Standard IEEE Std 802.10-1992; Full Use

5.  Project Title:

Revised Standard for Interoperable LAN Security (SILS) Part B - Secure Data
Exchange (802.10b)

6.  Scope of Proposed Standard:

To refine the Security Association Identifier (SAID) field of the current
Standard to support Multicast Key Center identification.  Neither the SDE PDU
format, nor the elements of procedure are changed by this refinement.

7.  Prupose of Proposed Standard:

To allow independent Multicast Key Centers to assign unique SAIDs.  The current
Standard requires a global MKC, or coordination among all MKCs to prevent re-use
of the same SAID.

Add Figure here.

8.  Sponsor:  LMSC

9.  Name of group that will write the Standard:

IEEE 802.10 Working Group

10.  Target Completion Date:  November 1996

11.  Proposed Coordination:

SCC10 (Dictionary) - Circulation of Drafts
X3S3 - Circulation of Drafts
IEEE 802.1 - Circulation of Drafts

12.  Are you aware of any patent, copyright, or trademark issues?  No

13.  Copyright Agreement for IEEE Standards

I hereby acknowledge my appointment as Official Reporter to the IEEE 802.10
Committee to write/revise a Standards Publication (entitled or to be entitled)
Standard for Interoperable LAN Security (SILS) Part B - Secure Data Exchange
(IEEE 802.10b)

In consideration of my appointment and the publication of the
Standards Publication identifying me, at my option, as an Official
Reporter, I agree to avoid *knowingly* incorporating any
copyrighted or proprietary material of another without such
other's consent and acknowledge that the Standards Publication
shall constitute a "work made for hire" as defined by the
Copyright Act, and, that as to any work not so defined, I agree
and do hereby transfer any right or interest I may have in the
copyright to said Standards Publication to IEEE.

    Name    Kenneth G. Alonge _______________________
                          (signature of chair of working group)

    Title   Chair, IEEE Project 802.10 Working Group

    Date    March 14, 1996

14. Person delegated to receive communications and conduct liaison
    with interested bodies:
    (This is normally the chair of the working group. If not, please
    indicated IEEE position.)

    Name       Kenneth G. Alonge            Telephone 703-883-8603
    Company    PRC Inc M/S ?????            Fax       708-556-3528
    Address    1500 PRC Dr                  Telex
    City       McLean, Virginia             Zip 22102
    E Mail     alonge_ken@po.gis.prc.com

15. Submitted By:
    (This is normally the sponsor's liaison to the Standards Board.
    If not, please indicate IEEE position and relationship to the
    sponsor.)

    Name       Donald C. Loughry             Telephone 408-447-2454
    Company    Hewlett-Packard Company       Fax       408-447-2247
    Address    19420 Holmstead Rd. M/S 43UC  Telex
    City       Cupertino   CA                Zip 95014
    E Mail     loughry@cup.hp.com

                          (signature of submitter)

    Title   Chair, LMSC

    Date    March     1996