Re: ESP over ESP was Re: ICMP Security Failures

   Date: 21 Dec 95 13:55:02 -0800
   From: "PALAMBER.US.ORACLE.COM" <PALAMBER@us.oracle.com>

   It is a common misconception that DES is not exportable:

Actually, I think a fairer statement (especially in regards to people
within the IETF who have been grappling with these issues for a long
time --- and I include Bill in this group) is that people use the term
"DES is not exportable" as a shorthand to mean:

	A product containing DES for the purposes of data hiding will
	generally not be eligible for an export license which permits
	the product to the general public outside of the United States.

At this point, I suspect most people in the ipsec working group are
aware of the exceptions --- US owned companies, financial institutions,
for authentication use only, etc.

These exceptions, however, are generally not useful when a U.S. Company
is trying to compete with European software vendors in the European
market.

						- Ted