Re: ICMP Security Failures

>>Craig Metz <cmetz@sundance.itd.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>>No, sadly, I don't think IP-AH-AH is safe to use with today's AH spec.
>	I never said it's safe. A layered implementation that fixes up the
>IP header as it goes along the processing path could do it, though. There's
>nothing explicitly saying in the spec that it could or couldn't be done.

But the spec is not clear enough to determine the correct algorithm
to use when doing IP-AH-AH processing; and there's more than one
possible algorithm you could use.

So the spec's ambiguity means that an ipsec-compliant implementation
had better not do IP-AH-AH!

I wish the spec would be clarified to either
- clearly disallow AH unless it directly follows an IP header, or
- clearly allow any & all nesting of AH, and specify which algorithm
  to use to calculate the Authentication Data.

(I guess it's a good thing Hilarie Orman for brought up the issue of
which nestings are valid!)