(IMPORTANT) Call for AH-MD5 and ESP-DES to move forward

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 29 Feb 1996 18:16:57 -0500 (attached)

 > From: Craig Metz <cmetz@inner.net>
 >
 > In message <199602292133.QAA26653@relay.tis.com>, you write:
 > >What I want is that implementations *do* move to this new function.
 > >We are doing a lot of implementation work regarding IPSEC, and we talk
 > >to many other implementation people involved with IPSEC.
 > >The message is very clear: no one has any real problem to implement the
 > >new transform, however they will not do that as long as there is another
 > >one that is *officially* required by the IPSEC standard.
 >
 > 	What is the patent status of this MAC function?
 >
 > 	(I don't think anyone would want to have an "oh, by the way" patent
 > problem)
 >
 > 								-Craig

Thanks for asking. This construction has NOT been patented.
(I made this statement clear during the Dallas' IETF).

It is as free as any other keyed hash function (we heard in Dallas IETF
-- see minutes -- that Novel may have a patent on keyed hash functions
in general. I do not know any details or what the status of that is).

Hugo