what I am proposing re HMAC

Just to be clear, what I am proposing on HMAC is this:

1) We leave 1828 alone. We do not advance it further but we do not
   "replace" it, meaning new RFCs do NOT "supersede" it in the way a
   replacement would.
2) We publish an RFC as a proposed standard for HMAC.
3) We think of the HMAC transform not as a replacement for the
   existing transforms but as a new transform. Any key negotiation
   protocols that exist do not replace the meaning of "use the 1828
   transform" with using HMAC -- they think of HMAC as a new
   transform. I do not want the new RFC to "supersede" 1828 as a
   replacement RFC would. One of the reasons I'm strongly opinioned on
   this is that I expect this situation will occur over and over in
   the next decade -- we will discover something and want to replace
   what people are using. Right now we can fail to advance 1828 as
   part of this process, but in general what we are doing is creating
   NEW transforms, not REPLACING old ones. The new transforms are then
   encouraged to be "must implement".
4) We leave the HMAC RFC at proposed standard long enough for the crypto
   community to really get its teeth in. Being at proposed should be
   sufficient to encourage vendors to implement. I know Hugo would
   probably like it to advance to draft standard more quickly, but my
   gut instinct says "wait". Proofs are good, I fully believe Hugo is
   a good crypto guy and that his proofs are excellent, but this is
   engineering at this point, not math. Proposed standard should be
   sufficient for a while.
5) If we desire, we may issue a document clarifying 1828 for
   historical reasons, but we do this as an informational RFC.

Perry