Re: AH and ESP Orthogonality

Mr. Simpson

Your comments are out of line!

>Recently, the WG chairs (without any stimulating WG comments) have tried
>to move the WG toward a non-orthogonal all-in-one approach for ESP.

There is a very clear consensous for a mandatory transform with ESP that
contains both confidentiality and integrity.

I have no bias to drive the specifications toward anything but to complete the
best specification capturing the requirements and consensus of the working
group.  While you may find long exchanges of rhetoric stimulating, most the
working group have better ways to spend their free time.

Please direct your delusions of intrigue to other venues.  If your comments
have any purpose besides inflating the count of messages on this list
containing your return address, please rephrase them as specific technical
recommendations.

Paul A. Lambert

IPSEC Co-Chair

-- BEGIN included message

For the past several years, this WG (and others such as SIP, SIPP, and
IPng, and other protocol designers such as SSL) strongly supported
orthogonality between the Authentication and Encapsulation (both privacy
and compression) facilities.

Recently, the WG chairs (without any stimulating WG comments) have tried
to move the WG toward a non-orthogonal all-in-one approach for ESP.

Last week, Ran Atkinson stood at the microphone, and stated (without
elaboration) that his previous support for an orthogonal approach was "a
serious mistake".

I ask, what was the mistake?

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com