Re: AH and ESP othogoanlity

> From: Naganand Doraswamy <naganand@ftp.com>
> The only problem I see with it is that there will be deployments for IPSEC
> in the very near future and most of the the implementations have implemented
> RFC's 1828 and 1829. We definitely cannot stop this as many customers have
> been asking for it.

I agree.

> This may cause configuration problems for old implementation (implementing
> only 1829) to interoperate with the newer implementation which may support
> both 1829 and the new transform. Can we allocated numbers to the transforms
> as most of the key management protocols do so that configuring with manual
> keying is simplified?

Well, I don't particularly like numbers for manual configuration, and
the RFC numbers can change as the documents are progressed along
standards track.

The way I'm doing it is by naming:

        MD5E            AH with MD5 "envelope"
        MD5N            AH with MD5 "nested"
        SHA1E           AH with SHA1 "envelope"
        SHA1N           AH with SHA1 "nested"
        DES1IV32        ESP with Single DES with 32-bit IV
        DES1IV64        ESP with Single DES with 64-bit IV
        DES3IV32        ESP with Triple DES with 32-bit IV
        DES3IV64        ESP with Triple DES with 64-bit IV

Make sense to you?

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com