A comment from the co-chair

All,

  The misrepresentations in the notes below are unproductive and
unwarranted.  The ongoing personal attacks on the chairs and other members
of the WG from Bill Simpson are not acceptable behavior in this or any
other IETF WG.  In future, notes that contain personal attacks will be
ignored in toto by the chairs.  If Bill keeps up his current behavior, we
suggest putting all incoming mail from Bill into /dev/null using a kill
file or other similar mechanism.  We suggest that others on the list ignore
the entire contents of all notes containing personal attacks and simply
don't respond to them or their author.

  It is entirely unproductive to focus on perceptions of history.  Instead
the discussions should focus on the technical issues before us so that
forward progress can be made.  Discussions about history, who said what
when to whom and so on cannot be objectively confirmed and only cause
confusion, contention and divisiveness. They are not productive.

  As to what Ran has said or what Ran believes, Bill's assertions are quite
false.  Ran is fairly confused as to how Bill came to his misperception of
the facts.  Ran's comments quoted below about the inappropriateness of
Bill's draft to alter the AH specification clearly indicates that it is a
problem of scoping.  AH/ESP specification changes MUST NOT be attempted by
any key management proposal.  Rather, the key management proposals MUST
conform to the AH/ESP specs.  If the WG later decides to modify the AH/ESP
specs at some time, then the key management specs can be correspondingly
modified at that future time.

  The WG chairs understand from the LA IETF meeting that keyed integrity on
the protected data of the ESP header is part of the mandatory ESP
transform.  Similarly, it is our understanding that implementation of
support for replay protection as part of ESP is mandatory.  Finally,
understanding that WG consensus is that the RFC-1829 transform should be
obsoleted on the standards track by a new ESP transform.  The new transform
will have a new transform identifier so as to avoid confusion with
RFC-1829.  The WG chairs have assigned the Document Editor position for
that new ESP transform to Jim Hughes.  The new transform will correct these
deficiencies in RFC-1829.  Once that new transform moves to Proposed
Standard, RFC-1829 will move to HISTORIC status and leave the standards
track.

  RFC-1825 through RFC-1828 are not yet able to be considered for
advancement to Draft Standard under IETF rules because of the cross
dependencies among each other and with the ESP transform.  They can be
considered for advancement once the new ESP transform has been at Proposed
Standard for 6 months and has at least 2 interoperable implementations.

  As none of the current Key Management proposals currently meet WG
requirements (though all could be modified to meet WG requirements), none
can proceed to Last Call or onto the Standards Track at this time.

  It is the prerogative of Working Group Chairs to decide who may edit
documents for their working group.

  Bill Simpson's behavior is incompatible with the requirements of Document
Editor for documents to be considered by the IPSEC Working Group for the
IETF Standards Track. Documents edited by Bill will not be considered by
the Chairs for consideration in the IPSEC Working Group. This does not
preclude others from listing Bill as co-author on documents in which he has
made significant technical contributions.

Randall Atkinson

rja@inet.org
Co-Chair, IP Security WG

PS:  Any complaints about this note should be directed at the Security AD,
	Jeff Schiller <jis@mit.edu>.

[Quoted notes follow]