Re: CYLINK's Support for Open Public Key Standards

>CYLINK Corporation
>March 14, 1996
>

>The following is a copy of an announcement I made in the IPSEC
>and PKIX working group sessions at IETF Los Angeles.  In response to
>numerous requests, I am posting a copy of the announcement to the
>applicable IETF working group mailing lists.
>
>-John Kennedy, CYLINK

>CYLINK'S SUPPORT FOR OPEN PUBLIC KEY STANDARDS
>
>EXISTING AND PROSPECTIVE CYLINK LICENSEES OF THE STANFORD PUBLIC
>KEY PATENTS MAY SUPPLEMENT THEIR LICENSES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE
>FOLLOWING STATEMENT.:
>

>ATTACHMENT "A"
>

>STATEMENT OF PATENT POSITION
>
>Cylink Corporation, through its wholly owned subsidiary Caro-Kann
>Corporation, holds exclusive sublicensing rights to the following
>U.S. patents owned by the Leland Stanford Junior University:
>
>	Cryptographic Apparatus and Method
>	("Hellman-Diffie")......................... No. 4,200,770
>
>	Public Key Cryptographic Apparatus and Method
>	("Hellman-Merkle").............  No. 4,218,582
>
>In order to promote the widespread use of these inventions
>from Stanford University and adoption of the [Name IETF Standard]
>reference by the IETF community, [Name of Licensee] has acquired
>the right under its sublicense from Cylink to offer the [Name IETF
>Standard] reference implementation to all third parties on a royalty free
>basis.
>
>This royalty free privilege is limited to use of the [Name IETF
>Standard] reference implementation in accordance with proposed,
>pending or approved IETF standards, and applies only when used with
>Diffie- Hellman key exchange, the Digital Signature Standard, or any other
>public key techniques which are publicly available for commercial
>use on a royalty free basis.  Any use of the [Name IETF Standard] reference
>implementation which does not satisfy these conditions and incorporates
>the practice of public key may require a separate patent license
>to the Stanford Patents which must be negotiated with Cylink's
>subsidiary, Caro-Kann Corporation.
>

>For additional licensing information please contact:
>
>	Robert Fougner
>	Director of Licensing
>	CYLINK Corporation
>	910 Hermosa Court
>	Sunnyvale, CA  94086
>	(408) 735-5893

How does this apply to a non-profit organization (such as a university)
that wants to make a "reference implementation" of an IETF protocol (that
uses Diffie-Hellman) freely available?  Under the RSAREF license, I
think this was possible, but has this changed things?

					Dave

--
David B. Johnson                      E-mail: dbj@cs.cmu.edu
Assistant Professor                   Home page: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbj