Re: ESP transform with RC5

At 05:36 PM 3/14/96 PST, baldwin wrote:
>IPsec members,
>        I have just submitted two informational RFCs to the Internet
>Engineering Task Force that specify how the high performance RC5 cipher can
>be used to add privacy to packets transmitted over the Internet.

This is the second time in the week that I have heard 'RC5', and have not
heard it mentioned before this.

I realize that many things happen in the crypto field that I do not see
right away, but how recent is the introduction of RC5 to the broader crypto
community?

What review has it had?

I ASSUME that it is a symetrical cypher; what are typical key lengths?  And
the strength of the cypher for a key length compared to other cyrphers: DES,
IDEA, RC2, RC4, etc.

Is the code in the draft sufficient for a full study?  Is this thus a major
deviation to RSA's handling of cyphers (compared to RC4, say).

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212