Re: ESP transform with RC5

Bill Sommerfeld writes:
>    I realize that many things happen in the crypto field that I do
>    not see right away, but how recent is the introduction of RC5 to
>    the broader crypto community?
>
> ~1995 or thereabouts.  This is a *very* new cipher, so it's not
> something I'd actually want to implement or use until it's had a
> lot more shakeout time.

Just for context for everyone, the RSA DSI folks are (or at least,
were) attempting to push this thing they call S/WAN, which is
basically IPsec using RC5 to make it into something proprietary that
RSA DSI has a patent on and thus gets royalties for. It doesn't have
any real advantages to anyone other than RSA DSI, which has an obvious
stake in its widespread deployment...

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: