Re: ESP transform with RC5

Perry,

Please be fair.

>No fee for the use of the patent in free software, <IDEA..>
>for example, and they don't attempt to assert
>rights when they have none.  RSA hasn't shown the
>same sort of behavior.

RSA to their credit has published RSAREF for free non-commercial usage.

The IETF process must support the definition of technologies that can be
produced by vendors for a profit.  Selecting technologies that have no fee for
free software limits the creation of "commercial" software.

While we all may not like to pay for patented technologies, this mailing list
is not an appropriate forum to attack companies attempting to make money on
their inventions.  Where we can in the standards process we should avoid
patented technologies.  Where patents are unavoidable or provide significant
advantages the working group they are acceptable only when available with a
"reasonable" and non-exclusive license.

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation                       Phone: (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410             Fax: (415) 413-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065               palamber@us.oracle.com