Re: NSA denies our 3DES license

At 12:00 PM 3/19/96 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>However, I don't see what the problem is. If you need IPSec for your
>overseas plants, buy from the Swiss or the Israelis or someone else
>who isn't stopped at the border. There are lots of overseas vendors
>for this stuff, so there is no reason to worry.

Oh, I'm not worried for 'us', but I am worried a little at 'US'  ;)

Of course it might be interesting to see what the various governments will
do when an encrypted tunnel using a very strong RC5 or a 3DES is going
between say Chrysler's TIS firewall in Detroit and Robert Bosch's firewall
in Frankfurt (I think it is).

The international aspect of our industry will challenge a lot of standard
positions.  Chrysler just opened an office in Antwerp.  I haven't
investigated if we got the Cylink gear for there like we did for the Austria
plant ( only DES based)....

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212