Re: ESP RC5 and S/WAN

At 12:08 PM 3/19/96 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>There is no good reason for anyone to use RSA
>DSI proprietary conventional cipher algorithms.

Hah!  The money pot is big here, why shouldn't RSA get a bigger shot at it
(beyond their public key stuff).

I'm on the business side of things and I understand this.  I will not deny
RSA's efforts to get more licensees.  Heck, they are only following in
IBM's, TI's, Microsoft's and other's footsteps.

I do get concern when rape and pillage licensing practices are used.  We
fought this a lot back in the bad-old IBM days (good old Amdahl and NEC
always there when you need them :).

I am also concerned about effects on our piece pricing.  If I end up adding
$1000 cost to 8,000 Chrysler suppliers, our car retail price will go up too.
We are not a rich uncle that can be continiously touched for some loose
change.  If a Pentium 90 can do DES at 8Mb/s that ain't so bad, considering
that most of our suppliers wouldn't have more than an ISDN link for some
time to come.

There are needs for SOFTWARE high speeds that might need a fast cypher (as
compared to a cheap hardware pump for a slightly slower cypher).  But most
real time needs don't need to get over 4Mb/s even on LANs.

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212