Re: PPTP ????

In message <199603271811.NAA02838@jekyll.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:

> Robert Moskowitz writes:
> > Has anyone looked into this new PPTP ?  That is Point-to-point
> > Tunnel Protocol?
> >

> Haven't heard of it. Who has done it, and where?

It's from Microsoft and a couple of terminal server people. It's PPP from a
remote dialup hub tunnelled (over IP) to your home office PPP server for
"secure remote access", i.e. user dials into local ISP; ISP relays PPP
packets directly to head-office, encapsulated inside IP; user thinks he's
got a direct PPP link to the office, but with a local telephone call.

I haven't looked closely at the spec, but I vaguely remember some sort of
encryption or authentication on the tunnel portion of the link...

A press release is at

	<http://www.microsoft.com/backoffice/ntserver/pptppr.htm>

The spec is available from:

	<ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/pptp/Pptp.doc>
and
	<ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/pptp/PPTP.ZIP>

In Microsoft Word format, of course :-(

Naturally, any errors in this description are mine, and no doubt the result
of bugs in my wetware...
--
C. Harald Koch            | Border Network Technologies Inc.
chk@border.com            | Senior System Developer