Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-des-md5-01.txt

Naganand Doraswamy wrote:

> Is there any security reason as to why we ae XORing the IV key when we use
> 32 bit IV and replay protection and not when using IV lenght of 64 bits.

The reason the XOR was added to the replay/IV creation is to defend against a
codebook attack of early blocks assuming that the SPI is not a random number...

The reason for adding the XOR to the 32 bit IV was to prevent a birthday/codebook
attack on the first 65K packets... This is not a significant attack, but one that
is simple to cover...

Frankly, I had not thought about doing this for the 64 bit version.... I see little
value in doing it, but it does not hurt?

Here is a note from an early draft that I used to explain the change.

   [Note, The IV32 procedure is a change from the esp-des-cbc. XORing by
   the IV key prevents a birthday/codebook attack on the first block.
   Inverting the second half does not mitigate the birthday/codebook
   attack.]

> If there is none, then I would suggest that we make it uniform and either XOR
> with IV key for all transform or dont do it for any transform.

this is OK by me. Comments from the Gallery?

jim