Re: export control of SHA

>A couple of people have observed in email that SHA-1 is export-controlled from
>the US.
>
>The good news is that SHA-1 is under Commerce Department rules, which means
>that US export licenses should be MUCH MUCH easier to obtain.

It is true that SHA-1 is export-controlled. However, according to the folks
at the Computer Security Division, NIST has sent a request to the Commerce
Department asking for a more general authorization for distributing DSS and
SHA-1. The request seemed to be approved. Unfortunately the person who was
handling the case was not available today, therefore, I would have to get
back to you next Monday regarding the specific rules for SHA distribution.

Shu-jen