Re: quick survey on MD5 & SHA-1

> From ipsec-request@neptune.tis.com Thu May 16 21:15:22 1996
> Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:58:52 -0700
> From: Ran Atkinson <rja@cisco.com>
> To: ipsec@tis.com
> Subject: quick survey on MD5 & SHA-1
>

> I'm trying to figure out where folks stand on the matter of which
> cryptographic hash function the IPsec WG should be using as its
> default, mandatory-to-implement function.
> The paper from the German Information Security Agency indicated a partial
> cryptanalysis, not a full cryptanalysis, of ordinary MD5.  Reportedly,
> that work does not apply to the HMAC technique of using MD5.  So there
> is no known cryptanalysis of MD5 at present, though probably less confidence
> in MD5 than before.

If the HMAC isn't compromised by this attack, the proposed spec should
not be changed.  Strength is going to be relative anyway, and chasing
the 'strongest MAC at the time of publication' seems like a fleeting
goal.  The only gain of such a change would appear to be to delay the
demonstration implementations.

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/