Whatever happend to compression?

The idea of having a transform that performs compression before
encryption has come up several times in the past, but I don't believe
it has been discussed recently.  Notably, compression has not been
added to any of the existing transform documents.  Along these lines, I
have a few questions.

1. Is compression still of interest as part of this group?  If so,
   I'll ask our local compression folks for some detailed information
   (and try to get them to write something up).  If not, I guess
   the rest of this can be ignored ;)

2. Should compression be a seperate function (i.e. ESP, AH,
   Compression) or should it be optionally applied to the individual
   transforms as part of ESP (and AH?)?

3. Are compression algorithm patent issues still a problem and are
   they enough of a problem to prevent IETF standardization?

Rob G.
rob.glenn@nist.gov