Re: Whatever happend to compression?

Well, we could certainly add compression as an optional ESP transform,
but it does seem to me that the widespread use of compression at the
application layer may render this moot in the majority of cases. It's
already standard practice to compress large files before ftping them
over the net, and of course virtually every network image format has
compression built-in. Compressing at the application layer does have
the significant advantage of saving bandwidth all along the network path,
not just in the part that's encrypted with ESP (assuming tunnel mode
operation, which I expect to be IPSP's primary use in the near term).

Phil

Follow-Ups: References: