MD5 vs. SHA-1, Selection Criteria

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 23 May 1996 18:00:48 -0400 (attached)

jkennedy@cylink.com wrote:

 > HUGO@watson.ibm.com wrote:
 {stuff deleted}
 > And in case this applies to anyone, let me note that just because a company
 > is using MD5 in a current system does not mean it is a good reason to lobby for it as an option in IETF IPSEC.

I'd like to believe this is not directed to me and IBM; I would have found
such a suggestion personally insulting.

Hugo

PS: Well, the truth is that IBM was trying hard to buy MD5 for some time;
since the coup didn't succeed we went and bought Lotus...