Re: MD5 vs. SHA-1, Selection Criteria

HUGO@watson.ibm.com wrote:

> Ref:  Your note of Thu, 23 May 1996 18:00:48 -0400 (attached)
>
> jkennedy@cylink.com wrote:
>  >
>  > HUGO@watson.ibm.com wrote:
>  {stuff deleted}
>  > And in case this applies to anyone, let me note that just because a company
>  > is using MD5 in a current system does not mean it is a good reason to lobby for it as an option in IETF IPSEC.
>
> I'd like to believe this is not directed to me and IBM; I would have found
> such a suggestion personally insulting.
>
> Hugo
>
> PS: Well, the truth is that IBM was trying hard to buy MD5 for some time;
> since the coup didn't succeed we went and bought Lotus...

Hugo,

This comment was honestly not directed to you, IBM, or anyone else in particular.  It was directed
to the broad mailing list audience.  It is merely my own opinion on the standards development
process and something I wanted to open up dialog on.  Personal attacks have no place in this
process.  The fact that I happened to respond to *your* message in that thread was just a matter
of chance.

Regards,

-John Kennedy
jkennedy@cylink.com