Re: UUNET Network Encryption Patents

This should be interesting. I don't have the entire patent, but from the
abstract (for 5,442,708) available from the USPTO:

        A computer network encryption/decryption device includes at
        least one microprocessor, microprocessor support hardware, at
        least two network ports for connecting to upstream and downstream
        networks, memory hardware for storing program, configuration, and
        keylist data, and data encryption/decryption hardware. Both network
        ports have the same network address, making the device transparent to
        the local area network in which it is spliced. The device operates by
        selectively encrypting or decrypting only the data portion of a data
        packet, leaving the routing information contained in the header and
        trailer portions of the data packet unchanged.

                      18 Claims, 10 Drawing Figures

I would guess that the Private Line Interface (two KG-30s hooked to gether
with a Lockheed SUE) evaluated in 1975, fielded 1976; BLACKER program
(started 1978 worked through out the 80's, currently in production by Group
Technologies), CANEWARE (fielded 1993); NES (basically commercial version
of the CANEWARE) (fielded 1993, in production by Motorola), and many more
developed and produced ***prior*** to the submission date of this patent
are infringing. I guess that NSA and the fed government owe UUNET a bunch
of money.

(I don't think I have standing to challenge the patent, but I guess that
Motorola and/or NSA would. And they probably have a stronger financial
interest in seeing this dealt with.)

carl.