Re: keying styles

In article <9606182022.AA22378@secpwr.watson.ibm.com> Pau-Chen wrote:

>Disclaimer: This message is NOT intended to re-ignite the debate on
>            per-user keying. Personally, I like to see all communication
>            secured with one secure tunnel whose keys are frequently refreshed.
>            But I have encountered much more than one request
>            for per-user/connection keying (Which means some packets
>            can be unprotected.).  In any case, I think the
>            cost of adding the field is small. So I suggest ISAKMP provide
>            this flexibility. A responder can always refuse such a request.

DISCLAIMER: I also do not seek to re-ignite a heated debate

	Unlike Pau-Chen, I don't see user-oriented and host-oriented
	keying as mutually exclusive.  For example, the NRL implementation
	has always permitted a system admin to require that all outgoing
	traffic be encrypted (e.g. using some keying strategy, with some
	traffic possibly using a host-oriented key) while also having
	user-oriented keying in use for sessions having such keys.

	In other words, an implementation can (and NRL's always has)
	permit some sessions on a system to use user-oriented keying
	while other sessions on the same system share a host-oriented
	key.  The keying strategies need not be mutually exclusive.

	By mandating that "everything must be encrypted" as a policy
	in the "system security level" variable then all packets are
	guaranteed to be protected even while some sessions might be
	using host-oriented keying and other sessions might be using
	user-oriented keying at the same time.

	See the NRL implementation for a working example.

Ran
rja@cisco.com