Re: UUNET Network Encryption Patents

The DESNC was ethernet only.  The 'wart in the line' encryptor used
a chip that did both ISO TLSP and IPv4 transport mode encryption.
Both were intended to be 'transparent', but the chip mainly did
streaming crypto operations, and worked in conjunction with host
drivers.

Oh, by the way, DEC obtained a bunch of patents too. I don't remember
all the numbers or claims or if any apply here, hopefully not, but,
then, I'm no patent lawyer.

At 11:11 AM 6/19/96 -0400, Steven Bellovin wrote:
>Something else worth checking -- in the late '80s, DEC was selling a
>bump-in-the-cord Ethernet encryptor --- called the DESNC, if I recall
>correctly.  It was completely transparent to the hosts involved, and
>did its encryption based on the addresses in the Ethernet header.

  Joe Tardo                           Voice: 408-524-2990
  Raptor Systems, Inc.
  1250 Oakmead Parkway, Suite 210     Fax:   408-524-2988
  Sunnyvale,Ca.   94088-3599