Re: UPenn Network Encryption Patent

I shelled out the $3.75 to casweb.cas.org to download this patent too.
(Gee, this list is full of cheapskates ;-} or people who don't know
that you can get online patent text easily via the Web now.)

I've added it to the Network Encryption page at
http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/netcrypt.html.

I did a quick scan of the Jonathan Smith's (UPenn) patent, and it
doesn't seem to apply to IPSEC.  All of the claims relate to ATM
networks which segment packets into cells with virtual channel ID's.
Amazingly, UPenn's patent lawyer never bothered to include the claims
generalizing their invention to any physical medium!

	John