re... usage models

An end node talking to a "tunnel head" is one model I am looking at.

Think of a notebook PC communicating with a firewall at the edge of a
corporate intranet.

I have the (general vague) impression other people think this is a realistic
model.

>Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 12:09:28 -0400
>To: Michael Richardson <mcr@milkyway.com>, ipsec@TIS.COM
>From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm3@chrysler.com>
>
>At 03:16 PM 7/5/96 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
>>In a galaxy far, far away, : Fri, 05 Jul 1996 11:29:03 EST
>>>      end-to-end authentication of IP headers.  It is desirable to tweak the
>>>      architecture so that authentication provided by ESP has the same
>>>      security as authentication provided by AH. Then only a single security
>>>      header is needed for end-to-end confidentiality + authentication.
>>
>>  Except that tunnel mode will most often be used by security gateways, not
>>the end-to-end contents.
>
>Not quite.  I THINK it will be used in end-to-gateway-to-end as well.  Yes?
>
>Robert Moskowitz
>Chrysler Corporation

               Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com>       +1 617 332 7292
               Sable Technology Corp, 246 Walnut St., Newton MA 02160 USA
               Fax: +1 617 332 7970           http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"