Re: Authentication using ESP in Transport Mode

Someone wrote:
>The packets would be:
>
>   IPv4                           ...outer header as it travels the net
>     AH                           ...is this needed?
>       ESP                        ...for firewall/tunnel
>         ESP                      ...for remote to internal node
>           original TCP/UDP/etc.  ...real data.

I don't think so.  I was thinking more like:

	IP (source=outside firewall, dest=firewall)
	ESP with combined transform
	IP (source=outside firewall, dest=inner destination)
	AH alone OR ESP with combined transform
	inner IP/TCP, IP/UDP, TCP, UDP, etc.

>Has anyone implemented this?

My description above is implemented by the NRL source code if one configures a
"secure IPv4 tunnel" for the outer path and also the user requests ESP
tunnel-mode on the original packet.

>Are we really really sure any existing implementations correctly allow ESP
>inside ESP?

Gee, I hope not.  ESP directly inside ESP is bogus.

Ran
rja@inet.org