Re: Authentication using ESP in Transport Mode

>  >Gee, I hope not.  ESP directly inside ESP is bogus.
>  >
>  >Ran

>  Hummm ... no, ESP inside ESP should be a fairly common case when two
>  workstations with ESP communicate through two encrypting firewalls using ESP.
>  I assume that you were thinking of ESP inside ESP with no intermedate
>  encrypting systems as a bogus example...

ESP followed by ESP is non-bogus wrt the architecture and ESP docs.
I've always thought this was deliberate and a good idea because it allowed
ESP to be used to define orthogonal services.  And while double encryption
might be inefficient (as in the firewall case), surely no one would want to
prohibit it (firewall would discard outgoing ESP packets?!).