Re: Authentication using ESP in Transport Mode

In article <9607170514.AA07071@maildig1.us.oracle.com> Paul wrote:

>Hummm ... no, ESP inside ESP should be a fairly common case when two
>workstations with ESP communicate through two encrypting firewalls using ESP.
>
>I assume that you were thinking of ESP inside ESP with no intermedate
>encrypting systems as a bogus example...
>

>Paul

Paul,

  I believe there was a communication gap, rather than a substantive technical
difference between what you mention and what I said.  Referring back to the
original set of notes below, please examine the area I've marked at the left
margin with "*" first to make clear what my comment quoted above was
referring to.

  It is bogus for a packet to be of the form:
	[IP, s->d][ESP][ESP][ULP or IP]

  The case you mention (End-to-End encryption while traversing an encrypted
tunnel between two intermediate systems (e.g. routers or firewalls))
will have tunnel-mode ESP packets of the form:
	[IP, fw1->fw2][ESP][IP, s->d][ESP][ULP or IP]

where:
  fw1,fw2 are addresses of the intermediate encryptors and the arrow separates
the source from the destination.
  s,d are the ultimate source and destination workstations that are also
ESP-capable.
  ULP == upper-layer protocol (e.g. TCP, UDP, ICMP)

Regards,

Ran
rja@cisco.com

>--Boundary-22345810-0-0
>
>Date: 10 Jul 96 13:07:31
>From:"Ran Atkinson " <ipsec-approval@neptune.tis.com>
>To: ipsec@tis.com
>Subject: Re: Authentication using ESP in Transport Mode
>

>Someone wrote:
>>The packets would be:

*   IPv4                           ...outer header as it travels the net
*     AH                           ...is this needed?
*       ESP                        ...for firewall/tunnel
*         ESP                      ...for remote to internal node
*           original TCP/UDP/etc.  ...real data.