Re: Question on TCP MSS with repsect to IPSEC

I believe Mr. Crawford is correct.  The sender's idea of the MTU for a particular
route, moreso than the MSS, should be decremented by the amount of IPSEC header
bytes needed. This also must be done on a per-association basis.

This becomes an interesting problem though when you are speaking to a host with
one association and then form another with different transforms.

Optimally you would want to keep the number of bytes you can send as large as
possible.  So, if I have an association with a host that requires AH with MD5
and no replay, I would want to shave off 24 bytes.

If I form another association with that host that requires AH with SHA and replay,
then I want to shave off 32 bytes.  Bookkeeping the fact that I've already shaved
off 24 and only need to drop down an extra 8 is the interesting part.

This becomes even more interesting if we want to keep per-association pad boundary
data, not to mention tunnels.

Rob Adams                            101 Cooper St.
Cisco Systems                        Santa Cruz, CA 95060
adams@cisco.com