Re: PF_KEY Key Management API

Your message <2.2.32.19960731192328.00710434@po1.bbn.com>:
>Hello, folks.
>
>Where could I find a document that describes the  "PF_KEY Key Management
>API"? The API is supported by the NRL IPSec implementation. In my course of
>designing a key management API for Mobile IP, I would like to learn from its
>design.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>John.

John,

Greetings from PSU.  I believe we will be visiting you in Sept.

I can't speak authoritatively on this subject, as I am one NRL implementation
out of date (studied Jan. as opposed to June), but from what I understood,
the api was simply that of a routing socket that was an addition to
the socket types already spoke by BSD 4.4.  The only documentation in the Jan.
release were man pages, probably for key(4) (the socket, based on
the route socket), key(5) (the format of the /etc/keys file), and
key(8)( the "manual" key daemon that could take /etc/keys and stuff
it down the key socket).  If you don't get a better answer, bug me
in about a week as I will be looking at the new NRL release at that
point.

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu