Re: IPsec Minutes from Montreal

Some minutes additions from my own notes:

Details on my presentation on rapid deployment of IPSEC in the first
meeting are available at http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/swan.html.

Jeff Schiller's closing discussions in the second meeting included
these "straw poll" questions, with my rough estimations of the
audience reaction.  He said he deliberately structured the questions
to avoid a straw-poll on particular algorithms, but instead focused on
our goals or process.

  Should we let the marketplace decide on a key managment standard,
  or should we pick one and move forward?

	  Marketplace - 2/5
	  Pick one    - 3/5

  Should we favor generality, or simplicity?

	  Generality  - 2/5
	  Simplicity  - 3/5

  Do we have to have a plan by the next IETF?

	  On this we have consensus -- YES.

  Should Jeff grab a few of the WG people who are known not to be committed
  to any proposal, and together decide?

	  Strong consensus that this was not the way to go.

This was when he suggested convening a small group, largely composed of
the authors/proponents of existing proposals, to try to hammer out a
compromise proposal.  He also said that if this group didn't come up with
anything by September, Jeff would personally choose one as the standard,
though he did not want to be forced to do that.

	John