Re: compression algorithms A FEW MORE

At 1:03 PM 8/9/96, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>Regarding mail from Marcel Waldvogel...

>>From: Marcel Waldvogel <mwa@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
>>Date: Fri,  9 Aug 96 11:22:42 +0200
>
>>Especially now, with the upcoming compression algorithms (which I'm very
>>much in favor of), this would result in a massive explosion of the number of
>>combined AH-COMP-ESP-transforms.
>
>Which compression algorithms should be covered?  I myself have thought about
>ZLIB, STAC, IBM.  I know of at least one other.  I'm curios if there are
>others because I'm trying to think about this in terms of providing
>capability for compression history/context or other features,
>
>               Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com>       +1 617 332 7292
>               Sable Technology Corp, 246 Walnut St., Newton MA 02160 USA
>               Fax: +1 617 332 7970           http://www.shore.net/~sable
>                           "Developers of communications software"

Rod,

There are a "few" that you have missed.  (See attachment.)

Regards, -Rob-

rshirey@bbn.com,   Tel 703-284-4641,  Sec 284-4600,  Fax 284-4777
Robert W. Shirey,  BBN Corporation,  Mail Stop 30/4C, Suite 1200,
1300 North Seventeenth Street, Arlington, Virginia 22209-3801 USA

The most recent copy of this text may be anonymous ftp'd from
ftp.cso.uiuc.edu (128.174.5.61) in the directory /doc/pcnet as
the file compression.
This file is maintained by David Lemson (lemson@uiuc.edu).
Please do not strip this note from this list when passing it on.
DECODING THIS CHART: This chart has been compacted to fit into 80 columns
so it can be viewed on-line. The first column is the name of the compression/
archiving technique. The next field is the file extension given to the
resulting file. After that are 5 columns each for a different operating system.
Each one of these consists of the name of the file/program to undo the given
compression/archiving style and a letter that tells where the file/program may
be obtained. All symbols and letters are decoded at the bottom portion of this
file.

FILE COMPRESSION, ARCHIVING, AND TEXT<->BINARY FORMATS

Last Update: 17 October 1994           Operating System/Unpackaging Program

NAME    File     DOS      *   Mac         *   Unix   *   VM/CMS  *  Amiga    *
      Extension
abe       ?  abe.exe      N      -          abe      Q      -          -
afio      -      -               -          afio     ?      -          -
ar      (any)    -               -          ar       L      -          -
ARC     .ARC arc602.exe   B ArcMac1.3c    D arc521   Barcutil2.04K Arc 0.23  Aa
ARCHDOS .IBM Internal IBM only - creates .EXE self-extractors also
ARJ     .ARJ arj239d.exe B  unarjmac      B unarj230 B   unarj   K     -
BinHex  .Hqx BINHEX.EXE   B BinHex4.0 +   A mcvert   D  binhex   X     -
	     xbin23.zip   B
binscii   *      -               -          sciibin3.10     -          -
BLU       ?      -               -              -           -          -
BOO     .BOO msbpct.exe   B      ?        ?     -           -          -
             msbmkb.exe
btoa    (any)atob11.zip   B      +          btoa     L      -      compress  Ab
Bundle  .bndl    -          Bundle        ? Unbundle M      -          -
CardDump(any)    -               -              -       card     K     -
compact .C       -               -         uncompact L      -          -
Compact
Pro  .cpt    EXT_PC10.arj ? Compact Pro 1.34 D     -           -          -
compress.Z   u16.zip      A MacCompress3.2D compress L  compress K compress  Ac
             comp430d.zip B
.compressed	*** NEXTSTEP - same as .tar.Z, use zcat <filnam> | tar xf -
GNU ZIP .gz gzip123.exe   B MacGzip0.2	  D  gzip123 L
(NOTE: also known as "GNU Compress" and used .z extension until v 1.1.1)
cpio      ?  pax2exe.zip  H      -            cpio   L      -          -
COMT	.COM comt010d.zip B	 -		-	    -	       -
Crunch    ?      -               -              -       arcutil  K     -
Diamond (spc+hibit) -       Diamond 3.0   Z     -           -          -
Diet	(any)diet110a.zip B      -              -           -          -
Disk-
Doubler  .dd     -         DiskDoubler3.7.6 Z     -           -          -
Disk-   .DMS     -               -              -           -       dms-102  B
Masher  .EXE
DWC     .DWC dwc-a501.exe B      -              -           -          -
FPack   (any)    ?        ? FPack2.2      D     ?    ?      -          -
HPACK   .HPK hpack78.zip  B
HYPER   .HYP hyper25.zip  B      -              -           -          -
Imploder(any)    -               -              -           -    imploder1.3 B
Ish	.ish ish200.lzh	  B  ishmac-0.6   D    ?	    ? 	       ?
JPEG	(any)	(See note at bottom - C source available) ***
Larc    .LZS larc333.zip  B      -              -           -          -
LHA     .LHA lha255b.exe  B MacLHA 2.13   D  lha1.00 U      -   lha_e138.run B
LHarc   .LZH lh113c.exe   H MacLHarc 0.41 D lharc102 U      -      LHarc     Ad
(NOTE: LHA supersedes LHarc in functionality)
LHWarp  .LZW     -          LZWRes 1.0    D     -           -      Lhwarp    Ae
LU (LAR).LBR lue220.arc   B      -          l(t)ar   ?  arcutil  K     -
LZari     ?      -          MacLZAri 7-11 ?     -           -          -
LZEXE   .EXE lzexe91.zip  A      -              -           -          -
LZSS    .lzss    ?        ? CompRes 1.1	  D     -           -          -
MDCD    .MD  mdcd10.arc   B      -              -           -          -
pack     .z      -               -           unpack  L      -          -
PackIt  .pit UnPackIt     ? PackIt3.1.3   D unpit    ?      -          -
PAK     .PAK pak251.exe   H      ?        ?     -           -          -
PKLITE  .EXE pklte115.exe B      -              -           -          -
PKPAK   .ARC pk361.exe    A ArcMac1.3c    A arc521   I arcutil2.0K PKAX      ?
PKZIP   .ZIP pkz204g.exe  B ZipIt1.2.6    D unzip511 B  arcutil2.04K PKAZip  Af
Power-   .pp
Packer           -               -              -           -    PowerPacker Ai
Scrunch .COM scrnch.arc   B      -              -           -          -
Shark            -               -              sh   E
shell - .shar
archive      toadshr1.arc B UnShar2.1     D   unshar L      -      UnShar    Ag
Ship	(any) (See note at bottom about Ship and Portable Zip) *
shrinkit.shk   nulib34    O      -           nulib34 O      -          -
Shrink-
ToFit   .stf     -          STF1.2        A     -           -          -
SPL       ?      -               ?        ?     -           -          -
Squash  .ARC squash.arc   B      -              -           -          -
Squeeze .xQx sqpc131.arc  B      ?        ?     ?    ?  arcutil  K Sq.Usq    Ah
Squeeze .sqz sqz1083.exe  B
StuffIt .sit unstuff.exe  B StuffItLite307D unsit    D      -          -
tar     .tar tar.zip      A Tar 4.0b      D tar      L      -      TarSplit  Ai
             tarread.arc  I
             extar10.zip  B
	     ltarv1.zip   B
terse   (any)Copyright IBM       -              -       vmarc    +     -
uuencode.UUE ncdc151.zip  B uutool2.3.2  B  uudecode L  arcutil  K uudecode  Aj
UltraCII.UC2 uc2ins.exe   B      -		-	    -	       -
Warp    .WRP     -               -              -           -      WarpUtil  Ak
whap    .AP      ?               ?         yabbawhap M      ?      yabbawhap M
xxencode.XXE ncdc150.zip  B      -          xxdecode A  xxdecode K     -
yabba   .Y       ?               ?         yabbawhap M      ?      yabbawhap M
ZOO     .ZOO zoo210.exe   A MacBooz2.1    D zoo210   B  zoo      K amigazoo  A

Extended Chart:
                VMS       *    Apple 2    *   Atari     *    OS/2   *  Windows3

aaf	(any)    -           aaftools     O
abe       ?      -               -              -              -          -
afio      -      -               -              -              -          -
ar      (any)    -               -              -              -          -
ARC     .arc arcvms.uue   B angel.shk     O   B arc521e.arc R  arc2.arc A -
ARJ     .ARJ  unarj220    B      -         unarj_st.lzh R      -          -
BinHex  .Hqx     -               -              -              -          -
binscii   *      -          binscii.exe   O     -              -          -
BLU       ?      -           unblu        O     -              -          -
BOO     .BOO     -               -              -              -          -
btoa    (any)    -               -              -              -          -
Bundle  .bndl    -               -              -              -          -
CardDump(any)    -               -              -              -          -
compact .C       -               -              -              -          -
Compact
Pro     .cpt     -               -              -              -          -
compress.Z   lzdcomp.exe  P compress.shk  O compress.arc R     -          -
cpio      ?      -               -              -              -          -
Crunch    ?      -               -              -              -          -
Disk-
Doubler   ?      -               -              -              -          -
DWC     .DWC     -               -              -              -          -
FPack   (any)    -               -              -              -          -
GZIP	.gz gzip-1-2-2.zipP
HPACK   .HPK     ?        *      ?        *     ?    *         ?    *     ?    *
HYPER   .HYP     -               -              -              -          -
Larc    .LZS     -               -              -              -          -
LHA     .LHA     -            angel       O     -           lha214_2      -
LHarc   .LZH     -               -          lzh_2011.lzh R  clhar103  S   -
LHWarp  .LZW     -               -              -              -          -
LU(LAR) .LBR vmssweep     B      -              -              -          -
LZari     ?      -               -              -              -          -
LZEXE   .EXE     -               -              -              -          -
LZSS    .lzss    -               -              -              -          -
MDCD    .MD      -               -              -              -          -
PackIt  .pit     -               -              -              -          -
PAK     .PAK     -               -              -              -          -
PKPAK   .ARC     -               -          pkunarc.arc R      -          -
PKZIP   .ZIP  unzip51     P pmpunzip20	  B STZIP22.tos	R pkz101-2.exe A  -
Power-
Packer  (any)    -               -              -              -          -
Scrunch .COM     -               -              -              -          -
shell-
archive .shar    -          unshar.shk    O shar.arc    R      -          -
shrinkit.shk     -               ?        O     -              -          -
Shrink-
ToFit   .stf     -               -              -              -          -
SPL       ?      -               -              -              -          -
Squash  .ARC     -               -              -              -          -
Squeeze   ?  vmsusq.pas   B   a2unix     O ezsqueeze.arc R    -          -
StuffIt .Sit     -               -              -              -          -
tar     .tar vmstar       Q      -          sttar.arc   R      -          -
terse   (any)    -               -              -              -          -
uuencode.uue uudecode2.vmsB uu.en.decode  O uucode10.arcR      -          -
Warp    .WRP     -               -              -              -          -
whap      ?      ?               -              ?              ?          -
xxencode.XXE     -               -              -              -          -
yabba     ?      ?               -              ?              ?          -
ZOO     .ZOO ZOO210.TAR-Z B      -          zoo21bin.arcR  booz.exe  A    -

WHERE TO GET THEM:
   A. ftp.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.61]
	          /pc/exec-pc/ {Zip, arc, lots of good stuff}
		  /pc/local
                  /mac/
		NOTE: Many mac things in: /mac/MUG/Utilities2.0-sit.Hqx;1
                  /amiga/fish/(see individual references)

      a ff070  b ff051  c ff051  d ff312  e ff305  f ff311  g ff345
      h ff051  i ff053  j ff092  k ff243  i ff253

   B. wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4] (UIUC: NFS mounted on uxa and mrcnext)
-> See H. below for another site for /systems/ibmpc/simtel/ directories <-
         /systems/ibmpc/simtel/archivers/ {arc, LHARC, hpack}
                       /filutl/ {atob11, msbpct - BOO, toadshr, DIET, ncdc151}
		       /sq-usq/ {NUSQ}
                       /zip/ {unzip}
                       /mac/ {unsit30}
         /systems/mac/info-mac/util/
         /systems/unix/arc-progs/ {ARC,GZIP}
                 /misc/vaxvms/ {UNZIP for VMS}
		 /misc/unix/ {UNZIP, ZOO for UNIX/VMS, UNARJ}
	/systems/amiga/aminet/util/arc	{AMIGA}
	/systems/amiga/aminet/util/pack	{AMIGA}
	/systems/apple2/umich.edu/gs/util	{Apple 2}

   C. omnigate.clarkson.edu [128.153.4.2]
         /pub/ncsa2.2tn/

   D. sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6]
         /info-mac/util/ {Stuffit Lite, Compactor Pro, etc.}
		  /unix/ {unsit, mcvert}

   E. ftp.uu.net [137.39.1.9]
         /pub/
	     /ioccc/shar.1990.* {shark}

   F. grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.28.129.]
        -  collection varies - see the file 'allfiles'

   G. watsun.cc.columbia.edu [128.59.39.2]
	Definitive source for KERMIT releases for all machines
         /kermit/a/

   H. wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [192.88.110.20]
	oak.oakland.edu [141.210.10.117] is the primary mirror for
	simtel20.  wuarchive (B) is a secondary mirror.
         cd pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
    SIMTEL20 files are available by anonymous ftp from mirror sites
    OAK.Oakland.Edu (141.210.10.117), wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4),
    archive.orst.edu (128.193.2.13), ftp.uu.net (137.39.1.9), nic.funet.fi
    (128.214.6.100), src.doc.ic.ac.uk (146.169.3.7), nic.switch.ch
    (130.59.1.40), archie.au (139.130.4.6), NCTUCCCA.edu.tw (140.111.3.21),
    by e-mail through the BITNET/EARN file servers, or by uucp from UUNET's
    1-900-GOT-SRCS.  See UUNET file uunet!~/info/archive-help for details.

   I. pc.usl.edu [130.70.40.3]
         /pub/unix/

   K. vmd.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.98]
      card   - cd public.460
      others, including ARCUTIL - cd public.477
	- NOTE: UUDECODE, UNARJ, ZOO and COMPRESS are originally from
	  LISTSERV@BLEKUL11

   L. (should be available on all major unix systems including
	wuarchive.wustl.edu in /unix-c/arc-progs
	also uxc.cso.uiuc.edu in /pub)

   M. comp.sources.unix archives
         (varies, including wuarchive in /usenet/comp.sources.unix)

   N. comp.binaries.ibm.pc archives
         (varies, including wuarchive in /usenet/comp.binaries.ibm.pc)

   O. cco.caltech.edu [131.215.139.100]
         /pub/apple2/ 		{binscii.exe}
                    /ARCHIVERS  {angel.shk, unblu in a2unix.aaf}
		    /source	{aaftools}

   P. ftp.spc.edu [192.107.46.27]
	GZIP -	[.macro32.savesets]gzip-1-*.zip
		(use [.macro32]unzip.exe to extract)

   Q. vmsa.oac.uci.edu [128.200.9.5]
         /

   R. atari.archive.umich.edu [141.211.164.8]
         /atari/archivers/

   S. mtsg.ubc.ca [137.82.27.1]
        /os2

   U. alt.sources archives (available on wuarchive.wustl.edu in
			    /usenet/alt.sources/)
	{LHarc is articles number 2217 and 2218}

   V. rascal.ics.utexas.edu [128.83.138.20]
	/misc/mac/utilies

   W. akiu.gw.tohoku.ac.jp [130.34.8.9]
	/pub/mac/tools/archiver

   X. brownvm.brown.edu [128.148.128.40]
	/ {BINHEX.READ-ME for instructions}

   Z. Commercial software product - check discount mail order
   software houses, computer stores.

NOTES:
Symbols: +   means see the notes below for special information
         -   means that nothing exists to the best of my knowledge
         ?   means that something exists but I do not know the name
             of the program or where to get it
         *   means that e-mail should be sent to lemson@uiuc.edu
             for details/explanation

JPEG - source (Free code) is available in
ftp.uu.net:/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v?.tar.Z.  Supports conversion
between JPEG "JFIF" format and image files in PBMPLUS PPM, Utah RLE,
Truevision Targa, and GIF file formats.  Contact for more info:
Dr. Thomas G. Lane,  organizer, Independent JPEG Group
Internet: jpeg-info@uunet.uu.net
Current version (1/93) is v4.

PKZIP 2.04g is shareware.  The Encryption version is freely
exportable to all countries except Cuba,Iran,Iraq,North Korea, the
police or military of South Africa, Syria, and Vietnam. (by order of
the US Government)

Some uuencode/uudecode programs are able to read xxencode files.

Stuffit Lite 3.0 is the replacement version of Stuffit
Classic 1.6 for Macintosh.  Stuffit Lite is shareware, $25.  Stuffit
Deluxe is the commercial version from Aladdin Software.
Stuffit Expander 3.0.1 is a free version from Aladdin that can
decompress most Macintosh compression schemes.  It is available in
the same place as other Mac decompression products.

VMARC, available with the command "TELL LISTSERV AT RPIECS GET VMARC
PACKAGE" from a CMS machine, will decode any CMS terse program.  The
PC version of terse is a commercial program available from IBM
directly.

There is a portable 'ZIP' that goes along with unzip50p1 that is
available from wuarchive and other mirrors in the same places as
unzip.  (see (B) above)
WizUnzip, WINUNZ20.ZIP in the WINDOWS3 dir on
wuarchive (B), is a MS Windows 3 version of Unzip50p1.

GZIP, the GNU Zip-like utility, is available from prep.ai.mit.edu.
Current version is 1.2.2 (16 June 93).  A VMS version is available
as follows: (this has binaries for VMS for VAX and AXP)
To get gzip via anonymous ftp from ftp.spc.edu, you'll need:

        [.MACRO32]UNZIP.EXE or UNZIP.ALPHA_EXE
        [.MACRO32.SAVESETS]GZIP-1-2-2.ZIP

To get it via e-mail, send the following commands in the body of a
mail message to FILESERV@WKUVX1.WKU.EDU:
SEND GZIP-1-2-2
SEND FILESERV_TOOLS

There is a set of translators that will allow Stuffit Deluxe to read
btoa, UUencoded files, zip, pack, tar, MacBinary, and others.  They are in
sumex-aim.stanford.edu:/info-mac/utils/stuffit-deluxe-translators.hqx.

When using tar.exe for PC's, the order of option flags is important.
For extraction, use tar -xvf <filename>.

ARC : From SEA, ARC 6.02 is the latest widespread shareware release.
      It is available at A (ftp.cso.uiuc.edu).
      Also, SEA has ARC 7.10, but it is commercial, not shareware.
	(see note at bottom)

When using binscii.exe for an Apple II, there are different file extensions
depending on the type of file being changed.

BinHexed files (with the extension .hqx) can be UnBinHexed with BinHex 4.0 or
Stuffit (preferably Stuffit).  BinHex5.0 format is a MacBinary format,
while BinHex 4.0 files are ASCII format.

The files listed are only supposed to uncompress/unarchive.
To compress/archive, further software may be needed.

USAGE NOTES:

There are certain "standard" combinations of compression used:
  unix - .tar.Z
         (often this will be .taz for PC's)
  unix - tar.Z.btoa (abbrev. to .TZB sometimes) (aka "tarmail")

  mac  - .sit.hqx
       - these must be undone in order starting at the end of the name

Sometimes an archive may be self-extracting. These will look like normal
executable programs. Simply run them to undo the archive.

LZEXE (PC), PKLITE(PC), Imploder(Amiga), and PowerPacker(Amiga)
are executable compressors.
They compress an executable file and attach an uncompressing header so that
the file can still be executed while in compressed form.
The listed programs for these utilities compress files, in order to uncompress
a file with these types of compression, just execute them.

DIET (PC) is a TSR program that compresses and decompresses both
executables and data files as needed.

DEFINITIVE SOURCES:

   PKWARE Support BBS - avaliable 24 hours
     (414) 352-7176

   ZOO - author: Rahul Dhesi
         source code in C on Usenet and GEnie's IBM PC Roundtable

   ARC - SEA (System Enhancement Associates, Inc.)
	 804-442-5865