Re: I-D ACTION:draft-thayer-seccomp-00.txt

Marcel,

        Our plans for re-writing the ESP and AH specs will avoid the need
to document the combinatorial set of transforms.  Instead, it will be
possible to define the algorithms or transform elements via distinct RFCs.
The ESP and AH specs will be upgraded to define formats for all of the
optional fields required by the different transforms.

        None of this avoids the complexity that comes with implementing
various subsets of the transforms.  However, moving transforms into
separate protocols arguably does not avoid this complexity either.  At the
last meeting we also decided to address this problem, in part, by
registering allowed combinations of transforms through the IANA (after WG
approval), as a means of identifying allowed combinations.  Still, the WG
needs to evaluate the attractiveness of various combinations and pass
judgement on them;  that is the ultimate means of keeping the complexity
level manageable.

Steve