Re: "Re: DNS? was Re: Key Management, anyone?"

Hilarie,

On you assertion:

>Clarified Assertion:
>The minimal basis for authentication is the association
>of a public key with an IP address.  The minimal
>authentication chain is through DNS zone authorities.

I have always viewed the minimum information to be a "name"...  Perhaps I'm
wrong, but your assertion provides clarity to the discussions and this an
issue that needs resolution. So ...

A Different Assertion:

The minimal basis for authentication is the association
of a public key with a name that can be used to support access control
decisions.

IP addresses may be dynamically assigned and are not as useful as "names" in
supporting end system security.

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation                       Phone: (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410             Fax: (415) 413-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065               palamber@us.oracle.com

-- BEGIN included message

>  Authentication for what?

Clarified Assertion:
The minimal basis for authentication is the association of a public key
with an IP address.  The minimal authentication chain is through DNS
zone authorities.

This seems to me to be generally useful and meaningful mechanism for most
Internet purposes.  If a site doesn't have an appropriate key entry, it
won't be able participate in ordinary authenticated services --- sort of like
not having a valid IP address would invalidate it as an Internet member.

So, why is this wrong?

-- END included message