Re: DNS? was Key Management

At 04:55 PM 8/14/96 -0700, John Gilmore wrote:

>I also think we should focus on shipping standards that hit the sweet
>spot (most gain for least pain), which includes securing communications
>among all the hosts with fixed IP addresses.

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:53:52 -0400  Robert Moskowitz responded:

>John, there are about 8,000 productive parts suppliers in the auto industry
>and 17 oems.  Chyrsler has already deployed 5,000 notebooks.
>Day one, I've got lot more dynamic than I have fixed.

Chrysler's not alone here!  As of last count in May we had 104,000 active
IP addresses.  About 40% are now supported with DHCP.  It should be well
50% by the end of 97 after we begin to get the bulk of our UNIX
systems converted to DHCP.  But the new installs and newer systems that
would be candidates for IPSEC are already well over 50% DHCP supported.

I also have heard that a number of the large ISP's are using DHCP; perhaps
someone from that group could comment on the impacts?

Take care

 | Terry L. Davis, P.E.| Boeing Information & Support Services, Bellevue, WA |
 |  206-957-5325       | BOEING EMAIL: tld5032@commanche.ca.boeing.com.      |
   ----------------- Friday August 16,1996 04:32 PM PDT ----------------