Re: "user" and "network layer" security mechanisms.

-----BEGIN PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----
Proc-Type: 4,MIC-CLEAR
 A0EApEjzeBjiSnGImJXgeY1K8HWSufpJ2DpLBF7DYqqIVAX9H7gmfOJhfeGEYVjK
 aTxjgASxqHhzkx7PkOnL4JrN+Q==
MIC-Info: RSA-MD5,RSA,
 AVo1Xh4yR+G5j3ixIrot6HfjbqBQoset/frbmjzM2IWwJfxzlUMIisGqa5NoiXnt
 eaEHfx630VXVlY0KLEun+V8=

> Matt Thomas wrote:
>
> > I think you are missing the point Perry.  For example, if you have six
> > concurrent users of an X.400 product that makes use of an RFC 1006
> > convergence module for its OSI "transport connections", you wind up with
> > user data from six user-level security associations multiplexed over a
> > single TCP connection.
>
> Sorry, that's impossible.  RFC 1006 (and RFC 1859) only allows one OSI
> transport connection per TCP connection; multiplexing multiple connections
> is specificly not allowed.  Therefore there is always a one-to-one mapping.

Upon review of the spec, you are correct. It appears that my memory is not
immune to age afterall.  However, I've looked at the source to our vendor's
RFC 1006 streams module and the basic problem remains.  It internally
manages a pool of TCP endpoints, maintaining its own internal binding
between TP0 connection and TCP connection.  There is no way software
at the IP layer can correlate the TCP connection back to the originating
process without substantial modification to this product.  This renders
user-level authentication within IPSEC useless for any application running
upon this transport.

Pick at the specifics all you want, the basic point remains valid.  The
Internet stack was designed to permit multiplexing above IP.  There are
several things out there that do this.  User-level authentication within
IPSEC cannot work for these products unless they are substantially
modified.

Charlie Watt
SecureWare

-----END PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----