Re: "user" and "network layer" security mechanisms.

>Charles Watt writes:
> Internet stack was designed to permit multiplexing above IP.  There are
> several things out there that do this.  User-level authentication within
> IPSEC cannot work for these products unless they are substantially
> modified.

No.  Most computers today are single user.  Multiplexing above IP does not
matter for authentication purposes when all the applications above IP are
owned by the same "user".

The issues of a "user oriented" IPsec in a compartmentalized workstation is
difficult.  The CMW market is very different from the "real" world and we
should be careful not mix the requirements of the two environments.

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation                       Phone: (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410             Fax: (415) 413-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065               palamber@us.oracle.com
!!!  Last chance, send resumes to: palamber@us.oracle.com  !!!

-- BEGIN included message

Charles Watt writes:
> Upon review of the spec, you are correct. It appears that my memory is not
> immune to age afterall.  However, I've looked at the source to our vendor's
> RFC 1006 streams module and the basic problem remains.  It internally
> manages a pool of TCP endpoints, maintaining its own internal binding

Thats an implementation issue, not a problem in the spec.

> Pick at the specifics all you want, the basic point remains valid.  The
> Internet stack was designed to permit multiplexing above IP.  There are
> several things out there that do this.  User-level authentication within
> IPSEC cannot work for these products unless they are substantially
> modified.

Look, the fact that you have to store SPIs in the TCBs of most
implementations makes for a significant change. No one said this was
painless. It is, however, a pretty good solution, architecturally.

Perry

-- END included message