Re: IETF focus

[please note the change in CC: line from ietf back to ipsec...]

Interesting that you should mention WG charters as an issue.

IPSEC's  charter includes..

   The preliminary goals will specifically pursue host-to-host
   security followed by subnet-to-subnet and host-to-subnet
   topologies.

It appears that the initial "early adopters" of IPSEC are the firewall
folks -- so host-to-subnet and subnet-to-subnet is being developed and
deployed before host-to-host.

The charter also says:

   The Internet Key Management Protocol (IKMP) will be specified as an
   application layer protocol that is independent of the lower layer
   security protocol.

Hmm.  That could be interpreted to rule out SKIP, but the WG has been
behaving as if it's a candidate on equal footing with ISAKMP (and
rightly so..).

Because of these inconsistancies between the charter and the current
drafts up for discussion, and the failure of the "smoke filled key
management room" to produce anything, I think we need to seriously
consider revising the charter to reflect reality.

						- Bill