Re: A renewed IPSEC

As has been made clear at the last few IETF meetings, our company is
neutral about the "key management wars"--we will support whatever standard
is selected.

However, we feel very strongly that there is customer demand for network
security today, and we and other companies need to ship products to meet
those demands. Moreover, the Internet market which has sped up
*considerably* over the last year. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO FURTHER DELAY THE
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS INDUSTRY.

Our company has examined both specifications closely, and we will certainly
support whatever standard emerges. However, while we believe that both SKIP
and ISAKMP have significant benefits, it is our position that at this time,
SKIP is the more mature proposal. We concur with Phil Karn (one of the
originators of the IPSEC group) that SKIP is simple and effective. From our
independent vantage point, it appears that every "complaint" about SKIP has
been addressed: perfect forward secrecy has been added, multicast support
has been strengthened. That being the case, we believe it is in everyone's
best interests for SKIP to proceed to the next phase in the standards
process so that commercially shipping products can be developed in a timely
manner.

John Lawler                            | "Fifty-five crystal spheres geared
VPNet                                  | to God's crankshaft is my idea of a
555 North Mathilda Ave, Suite. 110     | satisfying universe."
Sunnyvale, CA 94086                    |       -- "Arcadia", Tom Stoppard
(408) 720-7618   jlawler@vpnet.com     |