OAKLEY/ISAKMP/SKIP design group

Hello everybody,

When looking back at the past 1 1/2 years, and how IPSEC evolved, I kind of
despair. Lots of progress were made all at the same time, and all in
different directions, with lots of people pulling at different strings. I
wonder how this will be going on. But, let me be a little more specific:

To my deep sorrow, Hilarie Orman has announced the failure of the design
group that was supposed to come up with a unified key management approach.
It might be very interesting for the group as a whole to understand why this
occurred. Could perhaps some of the group members elaborate on their
respective views to what technical differences were not acquiescable?

At the moment, I feel somewhat at a loss. Bot SKIP and OAKLEY/ISAKMP
respectively Photuris have important properties, Robert Moskowitz, Phil
Karn and others elaborated on the validity of the two approaches. Both
approaches have substantial backing by a broader community, at least
this is what I perceive. I personally prefer SKIP, because of its
inherent simplicity and because its easily done - and verified - but
after having invested substantial work in it, my not so humble opinion
might be tainted. Some more untainted voices arguing for the one or the
other approach would certainly be of interest to me...

Perhaps the working group should reconsider, and let both approaches go
forward on the standards track?

Friendly greetings,

	Germano Caronni