Re: "user" and "network layer" security. reply to respondents.

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.960830095654.26224C-100000@panix.com>, "M.C.Nelson" writes:

> The transport layer doesn't have "user" either.  Adding a "user" concept
> in a new layer between the transport and network layer still breaks the
> network architecture.

Fine. I guess we should all throw our hands up in disgust and walk away from
the table. The pristine purity of the ISO reference model must be preserved
at all cost, right?

Do you propose removing all user-based authentication from PPP (CHAP and
PAP) also? After all, PPP is a link layer protocol, and the link layer
doesn't have a "user" either. How about SSL, at the transport layer?

User-oriented keying is useful, and works. The concept is orthogonal to
network stack layering. If it voliates some holy "architecture design
principles", then those principles should be changed.

IMHO, of course.

--
Harald Koch
chk@border.com