Re: Patents by Sun?

If it is true that it was granted it is not yet
online. However, Ashar (and hence Sun) have been
granted another patent (in 1995) that I found in
the database. The returned abstract is listed
below. Sorry if the formatting is bad but I cut
and pasted from Netscape. This patent is certainly
also relevant to IPSEC.
------------begin patent stuff----------------

United States Patent

                                      5,416,842
 Aziz

                                   May 16, 1995

Method and apparatus for key-management scheme for use with internet
protocols at site firewalls

 Inventors:
          Aziz; Ashar (Fremont, CA).
 Assignee:
          Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Mountain View, CA).
 Appl. No.:
          258,344
 Filed:
          Jun. 10, 1994

 Intl. Cl.:

                  H04L 9/30; H04L 9/08; H04L 9/00
 U.S. Cl.:

      380/ 30; 380/ 4; 380/ 21; 380/ 23; 380/ 25; 380/ 49
 Field of Search:

             380/4, 21, 23, 25, 30, 46, 49, 50; 371/68.3

                                               References Cited [Referenced By:]

                                                     U.S. Patent Documents
       4,916,704
                                   Apr., 1990
                                                              Bruckert et al.

                                371/ 68.3

                                                       Other References

     Whitfield Diffie, "The First Ten Years of Public-Key Cryptography",
(Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 76, No. 5, May 1988).

     Paul Fahn, "Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Today's
Cryptography", (RSA Laboratories, 1992).

     "Part I: Message Encryption and Authentication Procedures", (Privacy
Enhancement for Internet Electronic Mail, J. Linn (Network Working Group), Feb.,
     1993.

     "Part II: Certificate-Based Key Management", (Privacy Enhancement for
Internet Electronic Mail, S. Kent (Network Working Group), Feb., 1993.

     "Part III: Algorithms, Modes, and Identifiers", (Privacy Enhancement
for Internet Electronic Mail), D. Balenson (Network Working Group), Feb., 1993.

     "Part IV: Key Certification and Related Services" (Privacy Enhancement
for Internet Electronic Mail), B. Kaliski (Network Working Group), Feb., 1993.

     Whitfield Diffie, Paul C. Van Oorschoot and Michael J. Wiener,
"Authentication and Authenticated Key Exchanges" (Designs, Codes and
Cryptography,
     2-107-125 (1992), Kluwer Academic Publishers).

     "The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm"; MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
and RSA Data Security, Inc. (1992), R. Rivest (Network Working Group).

     RSA Data Security, Inc. Technology Bulletin, copy undated.

Primary Examiner: Gregory; Bernarr E.
Attorney, Agent or Firm: Irell & Manella

                                                          Abstract

The present invention includes a first data processing device (node I)
coupled to a first private network and to a firewall server (FWA). Firewall
server FWA is in
turn coupled to a public network, such as the Internet. A second data
processing device (node J) is coupled to a second private network which is
coupled to the
Internet through a firewall server (FWB). Node I provides a data packet
including IP data and a destination address for the intended receiving node
J to firewall
FWA. Firewall FWA is provided with a secret value a, and a public value
.varies.(^a) mod p. Similarly, firewall FWB is provided with a secret value
b and a
public value .varies.(^b) mod p. The firewall FWA obtains a Diffie-Hellman
(DH) certificate for firewall FWB and determines the public value
.varies.(^b) mod p
from the DH certificate. Firewall FWA then computes the value of
.varies.(^ab) mod p, and derives a key K(ab) from the value .varies.(^ab)
mod p. A transient
key K(p) is randomly generated and is used to encrypt the data packet to be
transmitted by firewall FWA to firewall FWB. The encrypted data packet is then
encapsulated in a transmission packet by the firewall FWA. The transmission
packet includes an unencrypted destination address for the firewall FWB.
Firewall
FWA then sends the transmission packet to firewall FWB over the Internet.
Upon receipt of the transmission packet from firewall FWA, firewall FWB
obtains a
DH certificate for firewall FWA, and determines the public value of
.varies.(^a) mod p from the DH certificate. Firewall FWB computes the value
of .varies.(^ab)
mod p, and derives the key K(ab). Firewall B utilizes the key K(ab) to
decrypt the transient key K(p), and using the decrypted transient key K(p),
firewall FWB
decrypts the encrypted data packet received from FWA, thereby resulting in
the recovery of the original data sent by node I in unencrypted form to the
firewall
FWA. The firewall FWB then transmits the decrypted data packet to the
receiving node J over the second private network.

Ken Siegel
Switchblade Networks, Inc.
6 Lisa Drive
Nashua, NH 03062