Re: Patents by Sun?

Ken Siegel wrote:
> If it is true that it was granted it is not yet
> online. However, Ashar (and hence Sun) have been
> granted another patent (in 1995) that I found in
> the database. The returned abstract is listed
> below. Sorry if the formatting is bad but I cut
> and pasted from Netscape. This patent is certainly
> also relevant to IPSEC.
>
> Method and apparatus for key-management scheme for use with internet
> protocols at site firewalls

Well, it is none of my business, but _that_ patent has been placed in the
public domain a long while ago. I guess they did this so nobody else could
make a patent on that stuff and hinder their work.

Germano

----excerpt of blurb-----
Sun Microsystems, Inc., in the interest of promoting an open-systems,
standardized approach to key management for use on the Internet, is
taking the step of dedicating important intellectual property rights in
this area to the public.

Sun has submitted a proposed specification to the IETF entitled "Simple
Key Management Scheme for Internet Protocols (SKIP)".  On June 10 1994,
Sun filed two patent applications with the United States Patent Office
relating to SKIP, entitled "Method and Apparatus for a Key Management
Scheme for Internet Protocols", Serial No. 08/258,272; and "Method and
Apparatus for Key Management Scheme for Use with Internet Protocols at
Site Firewalls", Serial No. 08/258,344.  Sun wishes to dedicate its
rights under these two applications to the public, and to that end
hereby licenses all persons and companies to practice the SKIP
procedures claimed in these patent applications (and in the patents
resulting from the applications, when and if they issue).  This license
is immediately effective, and requires no fee.