Re: bandwidth in the Internet

Ok, let me rephrase my question.

How many places in the Internet is an extra 20-30 bytes of overhead *really*
a problem? We've already inflated packet sizes with IPv6, remember? How many
of these environments simply couldn't live with the extra overhead in
exchange for the security benefits?

Just for fun, Here is an example of packet overhead causing problems (cable
modems):

At least one cable modem I've heard about has 10Mbps in one direction, and
28.8Kbps in the backchannel.

Assuming 45 bytes/ACK (40 + ~5 for PPP), you can get a maximum of 80 ACK/sec
through the backchannel. This means 160 packets/sec in the forward direction
(TCP acks every second segment); this yields a maximum bandwidth usage of
1.92Mbps (using 1500 byte MTU). Only 1/5th the available bandwidth.

Increasing the ACK size to 65 bytes (20 for SKIP+ESP?) yields 660Kbps
throughput on the forward channel; even worse.

Are there others? I don't see a problem with 28.8, for example; usage is
highly asymmetric, and V.34 modems have much higher problems with internal
latency than we would be adding with IPsec overhead.

Any others?

--
Harald