To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee@cybercash.com>
Cc: chk@border.com, perry@piermont.com, kent@bbn.com, ipsec@TIS.COM
Subject: Re: DNSSEC *can* retrieve "A" and "KEY" records in the same query
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:01:50 -0700
From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Sender: ipsec-approval@neptune.tis.com

I stand corrected.  I hadn't closely read the latest (-10) DNSSEC draft yet.

The ability to retrieve keys along with A and NS records reduces
long-haul round trips, because the keys will be cached and can be
retrieved from the local cache.  There are currently no applications
which ask for both A and KEY records.  The app (typically) asks for A
records with gethostbyname to open a TCP connection.  When the first
TCP packet comes out, a key management daemon (on the same host, or on
a S/WAN gateway) asks for the KEY records.

	John