Re: IPsec Minutes from Montreal

Ashar,

Your constructive comments on the minutes were received and an updated set of
minutes reflecting your clarifications have been prepared (last week
actually).  They will be posted soon.

>I can understand that the minute writers (I assume that this
>included the chairs) have personal opinions about the competing
>proposals. May I request, however, that the meeting minutes not
>be used as the forum to promulgate these opinions, when they
>don't correspond to events that transpired at the meeting?

As one of the chairs, I can honestly say that we do not use the minutes to
promulgate opinions.  We are quite lucky to have various contributions of
notes each meeting to capture the events. We are lucky just to get minutes
out.   IPsec has been having some very "eventful" meetings, so it is likely
that all of the details may not have been captured.  There are also
differences of opinion that can be hard to capture.  For example:

>First, the SKIP PFS exchange requires 2 messages, not 4-6.
>This is what I presented at the talk, and is present in
>the SKIP PFS I-D.

It is true that your presentation claimed that SKIP PFS exchange takes 2
messages.  It is also true that other members of the working group claim that
SKIP PFS takes 4 to 6 messages.  So depending on who you ask the answer is 2
to 6 messages.  I am sure that this confusion will be resolved by the working
group, but it is difficult to document in the minutes this type of difference
in opinion.

>About two weeks ago I sent the following protest ...

The chairs (Ran and myself) appreciate contributions and comments, but please
calm done and quite complaining.  The minutes have been improved by the
clarifications you recommended and "protesting" is unnecessary.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Lambert                     Director of Security Products
Oracle Corporation               Phone:         (415) 506-0370
500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659410     Fax:         (415) 633-2963
Redwood Shores, CA  94065       E-Mail: palamber@us.oracle.com
"Secure Jobs"  ->  send resumes to: palamber@us.oracle.com
like to make my objections known here also.

-----------(Begin Forwarded Message)--------------------------